Lillian A. Plata
Lillian A. Plata is a founding member of Nee Plata Law LLC (NP Law), specializing in tax and structured finance. She has more than 15 years of experience structuring and implementing complex financings, having practiced at several prominent law firms in New York and New Jersey. Lillian provides tax and structuring advice to corporations, partnerships, developers, nonprofits and government entities on an array of complex transactions with a focus on Opportunity Zones, New Markets Tax Credits, syndicating Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTCs), and Historic Tax Credits as well as other federal and local tax credit and incentive programs. She has been instrumental in advising clients on the best way to leverage both public and private sources of funding. Lillian has also advised clients on structuring transactions under HUD's Rental Assistance Demonstration program, utilizing Section 103 tax-exempt financing and LIHTCs. She has represented corporate entities and investment firms in various projects consisting of corporate acquisitions, infrastructure projects, redevelopment projects, construction of professional athletic facilities, and negotiating intercreditor agreements and credit facilities.
Lillian has coordinated with developers, issuers, underwriters, financial advisors and state and local government agencies to structure and implement these complex financings that have included taxable and Section 103 tax-exempt general obligation bonds/notes, mortgaged back securities, conventional and revenue financings with fixed rate, variable rate, auction rate and hybrid structures, as well as interest rate swap agreements and other derivative products. In addition, Lillian regularly handles the firm's tax matters, including advising clients on all aspects of Section 103 tax-exempt financing and the formation of nonprofit organizations, corporations and partnerships.
Ms. Plata is also involved in various professional and community activities. She is currently on the Board of Directors of Don Pedro Development Corporation and the NJCC NMTC Advisory Committee. Ms. Plata is the former Vice-Chair of the Neighborhood House Association, former Vice President of LUPE Fund, Inc. and was a Board of Director of Boys to Leaders Foundation. Ms. Plata was also Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees of Roseville Community Charter School, a member of the New Jersey Supreme Court Ethics Committee, District XII, and the Chair of Latinas United for Political Empowerment Political Action Committee and has served as a Region III Deputy Regional President of the Hispanic National Bar Association. In addition, she has served on the Board of Directors of the New Jersey Women Lawyers Association and the Board of Trustees of the Tri-County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Lillian received her Master of Laws in Taxation from New York School of Law in 2014, her Juris Doctorate from Rutgers University School of Law – Newark in 2002 and her B.A. degree in English from Drew University in 1999. Lillian is admitted to practice law in the State of New Jersey, State of New York and the District of Columbia.
- American Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- The Association of Latin American Law Students 2018 "Legacy Award"
- Hispanic National Bar Association 2017 "Top Lawyers Under 40 Award"
- Morris County Organization for Hispanic Affairs 2017 "Social Justice Advocate Award"
- Hispanic National Bar Association 2017 "Top Lawyers Under 40 Award"
- Emerge New Jersey 2016 "Building the Bench Award"
- Leadership Newark 2015 "Engagement Award"
- Tri-County Scholarship Fund 2015 "Lawyers' Award"
- Northern Jersey Boy Scouts Council 2014 "Latino Leadership Award"
- LUPE Fund, Inc. 2013 "Power of Women Award Recipient"
- Newark Women's Conference Inc. 2012 "Woman of Distinction, Leadership and Power Award Recipient"
- Super Lawyers Magazine 2012 "Rising Star" recognition
- National Hispana Leadership Institute 2009 "Executive Leadership Fellow"
- Speaker, "Finding the Opportunities in Opportunity Zones" New Jersey Future Redevelopment Forum 2019, New Brunswick, New Jersey, March 8, 2019.
- Speaker, "Opportunity Zones" Annual Redevelopment Law Institute, New Brunswick, New Jersey, February 8, 2019.
- Speaker, "Tax Credit Unwinds," Council of Development Finance Agencies, BNY Mellon Webcast Series, December 18, 2018.
- Speaker, "Introduction to Tax Credits," Council of Development Finance Agencies Intro Tax Credit Finance Course, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, August 7, 2018.
- Primary Instructor, "Understanding Tax Credits: What Do They Mean in 2018," New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Training Institute, Trenton, New Jersey, June 12-13, 2018.
- Speaker, "Avoiding Private Activity (Basic) & (Advance)," National Association of Bond Lawyers' 2018 Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law Seminar, Charlotte, North Carolina, April 25-27, 2018.
- Speaker, "IRS Issues & Enforcement," National Association of Bond Lawyers' 2018 Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law Seminar, Charlotte, North Carolina, April 25-27, 2018.
- Speaker, "Infrastructure/Parking – Legal Issues in Redevelopment – Multiple Users, Easements, Condo Garages, and Planning Issues" Annual Redevelopment Law Institute, Iselin, New Jersey, February 8, 2018.
- Speaker, "Post-Issuance Compliance" National Association of Bond Lawyers' 42nd Annual Bond Attorneys' Workshop, Chicago, Illinois, October 4-6, 2017.
- Speaker, "Know Your Client: Should You Take on Representation," New York Law School 2017 Annual Tax Lawyering Workshop, New York, New York, April 28, 2017.
- Speaker, "Avoiding Private Activity (Basic) & (Advance)," National Association of Bond Lawyers' 2017 Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law Seminar, Denver, Colorado, April 19-21, 2017.
- Speaker, "IRS Issues & Enforcement," National Association of Bond Lawyers' 2017 Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law Seminar, Denver, Colorado, April 19-21, 2017.
- Speaker, "Beyond Bonds: Local & State Financing Tools for Community Development," American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law Fall Boot Camp, Cleveland, OH, October 6-7, 2016.
- Primary Instructor, "Understanding Tax Credits and How to Use Them," New Jersey Redevelopment Authority Redevelopment Training Institute, Sayreville, New Jersey, June 22-23, 2016.
- Speaker, "Increasing Latinas in the Private Sector" Hispanic Bar Association 2016 Women's Empowerment Leadership & Law Conference, New Brunswick, New Jersey, March 12, 2016.
- Speaker, "How to prepare an exit strategy for when the NMTC matures after seven years," New Jersey Redevelopment Authority New Markets Tax Credit Workshop, Trenton, New Jersey, July 9, 2014.
- Speaker, "Private Activity Tests," National Association of Bond Lawyers' 37th Annual Bond Attorneys' Workshop, Chicago Illinois, October 24 -26, 2012.
- Speaker, "Internal Revenue Services Oversight and Examinations – The Need for Better Records and Established Internal Policies," Government Finance Officers Association Seminar at Institute for Professional Development, New Brunswick, New Jersey April 13, 2012.
- Co-author, "A Survey of PPP Legislation Across the United States," Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Global Infrastructure, Volume I, 2008.